!!insidediv!!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2022 10:55 am  #1

I Removed the Obvious Bots--Members Dropped from 1,186 to 28

It took a while, but I was able to remove all "bot" accounts (they were easy to spot). 

I kept ALL members who either had familiar names or made legitimate postings.

I did NOT "ban" them--all I did was to delete the accounts.  I was afraid that banning might be too permanent if I made a mistake.

In cases where some of our members interacted with the bots ("What the heck are you talking about?"), I did NOT delete the posts, because I didn't want to mess up any threads.

In the process of doing this, I discovered that bots usually have legitimate names that end in several random characters, such as "Josephgkm" or "Maryeqzx."  If they post at all, it's nonsensical, such as, "Oh yeah?  The book has been cut in half.  Trees don't run away.  Go to cornball.com."

We get about three or four members a day who have bot-type names and who don't post anything.  I think they are scouting for new boards to infiltrate.  So, if they don't post anything in about 10 days, I might delete them (but not ban them, for fear of making a mistake).

Every two or three days, I'll check the membership list for more bots.  Maybe eventually they'll leave us alone.

Last edited by Muna (8/26/2022 2:32 pm)

8/26/2022 4:55 pm  #2

Re: I Removed the Obvious Bots--Members Dropped from 1,186 to 28

Hope it works Muna. 

VOTE DEMOCRAT IF YOU WANT PIZZAGATE PEOPLE 

8/27/2022 8:43 pm  #3

Wow...only 28 members now? I confess to enjoy having over 1000! LOL

8/27/2022 8:46 pm  #4

Cydoniaquest wrote:

Wow...only 28 members now? I confess to enjoy having over 1000! LOL

They all had "0" (zero) posts and had names like Jerryavxz, Lindaprfg, Billzczv, etc.

Yeah, but I know what you mean--28 looks like such a low membership (because it is, ha!).

8/27/2022 8:47 pm  #5

Without all the bots for company, it feels sortof empty!

8/27/2022 8:48 pm  #6

Have you heard now that THE MAJORITY of users on Twitter may actually be bots? They had to disclose that info since Musk had a right to know what he was buying...

8/27/2022 8:52 pm  #7

Cydoniaquest wrote:

Have you heard now that THE MAJORITY of users on Twitter may actually be bots? They had to disclose that info since Musk had a right to know what he was buying...

You know, I actually heard something about that, but I didn't know the details.

Cy, if you'd rather I leave the bots alone, I can easily do that.  I mean, if they don't bother anybody I guess I can let them stay.  It's up to you.

8/27/2022 10:45 pm  #8

Oh no, it's all good but it's just funny because if you look at the other thread where Gar was saying he keeps getting these "are you human" tests, well....obviously, those tests don't work too well! LOL....Couldn't keep out 1186 bots!

Board footera